Recommended Reading for Providers
- Caring for Lesbian and Gay People: A Clinical Guide, by Allan D. Peterkin & Cathy Risdon (University of Toronto Press, 2003).
- Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Identities Over the Lifespan: Psychological Perspectives, edited by Anthony R. D’Augelli and Charlotte J. Patterson (Oxford University Press, 1995).
- Education, Research, and Practice in Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered Psychology: A Resource Manual, edited by Beverly Greene and Gladys L. Crom (Sage Publications, 2000).
- Fenway Guide to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Health, edited by Harvey J. Makadon, Jennifer Potter and Kenneth H. Mayer (American College of Physicians, 2007).
- Gateways to Improving Lesbian Health and Health Care: Opening Doors, by Christy Ponticelli (Harrington Park Press, 1998).
- The Handbook of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Public Health: A Practitioner’s Guide to Service, edited by Michael D. Shankle (Harrington Park Press, 2006).
- Healthcare for Lesbians and Gay Men; Confronting Homophobia and Heterosexism, edited by Jean K. Peterson
- Health Care
Without Shame: A Handbook for the Sexually Diverse and their Caregivers, by Charles
Moser (Greenery Press, 1999). **Now also available free online.
- Hospitality to Strangers: Empathy and the Physician-Patient Relationship, by Dorothy M. Owens (The American Academy of Religion, 1999).
- Men Like Us: The GMHC Complete Guide to Gay Men's Sexual, Physical, and Emotional Well-Being, by Daniel Wolfe
- Sexual Orientation in Child and Adolescent Health Care, by Ellen C. Perrin (Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2002).
- Smearing the Queer: Medical Bias in the Health Care of Gay Men, by Michael Scarce (Taylor & Francis, Inc., 1999).
- Social Discrimination and Health: The Case of Latino Gay Men and HIV Risk, by Rafael M. Díaz and George Ayala (The Policy Institute of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, 2001).
- Sexual and Gender Diagnoses of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM): A Reevaluation, edited by Dan Karasic and Jack Drescher (The Haworth Press, 2005).
- Transgender and HIV: Risk, Prevention, and Care, edited by Walter Bockting and Sheila Kirk (The Haworth Press, 2001).
- Transgender Care: Recommended Guidelines, Practical Information, and Personal Accounts, by Gianna E. Israel, Donald E. Tarver and Diane Shaffer (University of Chicago Press, 2001).
- Transgender Emergence: Therapeutic Guidelines for Working with Gender-Variant People and Their Families, by Arlene Istar Lev (The Haworth Clinical Practice Press, 2004).
- Treating Lesbians and Bisexual Women: Challenges and Strategies for Health Professionals, by Elisabeth Paige Gruskin (Sage Publications, 1999).
- True Selves: Understanding Transsexualism, for Families, Friends, Coworkers, and Helping Professionals, by Mildren L. Brown & Chloe Ann Rounsley (Jossey Bass, 1996).
- The Lives of Lesbians, Gays, and Bisexuals: Children to Adults, by Ritch Savin-Williams and Kenneth M. Cohen (Harcourt Brace College Publishers, 1996).