Causes in Common
Causes in Common: LGBT Liberation & Reproductive Justice
Planned Parenthood of the Southern Finger Lakes is excited to launch an important initiative aimed at increasing lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender health and wellness in our region.
Our New York State grant funded Out for Health project reflects Planned Parenthood’s long standing commitment to support, advocate and educate about sexual orientation and gender identity in our community. In 1988 we hosted our first professional development workshop in Ithaca about LGBT issues in schools and kicked off our 21 year commitment to serving the needs of the LGBT community.
Through providing training, access to educational materials and support, guidance on writing inclusive school policy, and existing as a resource regarding LGBT health and youth issues, we are proud of our long history working with and for the LGBT community! Our collaborative approach has allowed us to stand up for the rights of LGBT youth, advocate for equal access to health services, write a national-award winning guide about providing transgender inclusive care, and serve on local and national task forces, workgroups and boards to address the important connections between sexual and reproductive health and the vital need for increased access to high quality, culturally appropriate health care for LGBT people.
In addition to the exciting regional work that lies ahead through our Out for Health project, PPSFL is also pleased to be a member of the Causes in Common Coalition and the New York State Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health and Human Services Network.
Please join us as we work to build organizational and community capacity to increase LGBT health and wellness in the finger lakes.
For additional information on the connections between LGBT issues and reproductive rights:
- Crossing the Lines, Reproductive Rights as a Queer Issue, by Choice USA
- Causes In Common program booklet
- Two Issues, Common Bonds: LGBT Rights and Reproductive Freedom, by Lambda Legal
- Guttmacher Institute State Policies on Sex and STD/HIV Education
- Leaving Our Children Behind: Welfare Reform and the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Community, from The Task Forice - Issues Specific to Poor GLBT People, and unfair and disparate ways LGBT people are impacted by Marriage Initiatives. Fatherhood Initiatives. Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage Education, Charitable Choice and Faith-Based Initiatives
- Assisted Reproductive Technologies: Overview and Perspective Using a Reproductive Justice Framework
- Using the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights to Protect the Rights of LGBTI Persons - Global Rights: Partners for Justice August 2009 report
- Causes in Common video: