Request a "We Welcome You" Kit
Out for Health has created We Welcome You kits to provide you with important, timely info about serving LGBT patients. If you are a healthcare provider in Schuyler, Chemung, Steuben, or Tompkins County, request one for free! Our We Welcome You kit is a specially designed resource kit for regional health care providers and medical practices about LGBT health and wellness.
The kit includes articles, tip sheets, LGBT health pamphlet samples, ideas for making your waiting room LGBT friendly, recommended reading for providers, and a copy of the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association's "Guidelines for Care of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Patients."
How did we decide what to include in the kit?
In the fall of 2008 our Out for Health project commissioned qualitative research from Harris Interactive to learn about health care success stories, challenges and needs of LGBT people in our communities. Our local research participants had a lot to say, including:
- Many (especially participants in professional or high profile positions) are concerned about their confidentiality based on the "small town nature" of this region.
- Our respondents told us that a positive healthcare experience is one that's based on three key components:
*having a provider who is well informed about the issues that may affect LGBT individuals
*being treated "..like people, with the utmost respect"
*being made to "feel comfortable at every phase of the visit"
- Many find the front office experience is a barometer for how good the overall medical experience will be.
- Although our respondents can find "clues" in the waiting room area that suggest the facility might be LGBT-friendly, for most, personal treatment is the biggest indicator of whether or not their overall visit will be positive.
- In fact, other than making the forms more LGBT-welcoming, the main recommendation our panelists had for improving the front office experience was to simply "be friendly".
- Many feel the biggest opportunity for creating a more comfortable and welcoming environment will be interpersonal training to sensitize staff on the issues and language that would make for a more welcoming experience.
There are a number of things you can do to create a welcoming and affirming health care environment for your LGBT patients. You may be doing a lot already! And there may be more you can consider as well. We're here to help!
Our We Welcome You kit is just the beginning!
We have so much more we can offer:
- Our quarterly Out for Health newsletter is available as a free PDF. Sign up at www.outforhealth.org.
- In-service workshops and continuing education on location for your staff.
- One-on-one consultations about how to make your medical forms LGBT friendly, assessing the diversity and cultural competence reflected in your physical office space and making suggestions for LGBT friendly pamphlets and materials for your clients. We're here to help! Please be in touch with questions or to schedule a technical assistance call or an on-site workshop.
We look forward to working with the exceptional health care providers in the Finger Lakes region to create welcoming and inviting health care environments for all of our LGBT patients.